Windows XP SP3 Lite/Netbook Edition (ONLY 160MB!)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mmad, Dec 18, 2008.

1. mmad

UncleBeer

Hey all:

I've tried preparing the USB stick in the manner described on the EEEguides (and also other places on the net). When "usb_prep8" asks me for the source of XP files, and I point to the extracted files, it tells me "...does not contain WindowsXP source files". This happens with XPLite, TinyXP, etc. It seems it's looking for winnt.exe which has been removed in all these versions.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

UncleBeer, Dec 21, 2008
  2. mmad

goofball

Manual installation files are needed for usb_prep8 to work. Not part of these smaller distributed XP installs. Use nlite to create your own and do not remove the manual install files.

goofball, Dec 21, 2008
  3. mmad

frandu

My problem is the same as UncleBeer... I can mount it with USB_MultiBoot_10, but I get that Blue screen SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED (as any other nlited XP version). Those people who could install this XP Version, explain to us how to indicate the XP Source Files please.

Cheers!

frandu, Dec 21, 2008
  4. mmad

UncleBeer

Then how do folks succeed installing TinyXP using "usb_prep8" (and plenty of 'em apparently do!). I'm mystified.

UncleBeer, Dec 21, 2008
  5. mmad

goofball

Not sure how they are doing it but I just use the last_session.ini and load it into nlite so that I have most of the same items removed as they do but ensure that the manual install files are left.

Also, there are many different options when installing TinyXP (i believe with rev09, there are something like 9 installs) so you can probably create an ISO that still has the install files? If you go to the ISO folder from the TinyXP files, you can see it will allow you to create various ISO's.

goofball, Dec 21, 2008
  6. mmad

mickeyjc

Installed twice, no luck getting it working. After installing graphic card driver, after reboot, can not get into windows. System keeps saying file missing.
    I ended up spending another 2 hours installing a full version of windows xp.

I was upgrading my A0A110 from Linux to WinXP.

mickeyjc, Dec 22, 2008
  7. mmad

mmad

Hi mickeyjc, are you saying that after you just reboot you cant get into windows, or after you install the driver and then reboot, that it doesn't work. If the installation is fine without you installing that driver, then maybe its a corrupted installation file or something. I may be a good idea to redownload it.

mmad, Dec 22, 2008
  8. mmad

mickeyjc

Hi, Before Installing the graphic card driver, it works fine, can reboot many times, no problem, together with all other drivers.
    Once installed the VGA driver, it asks for reboot to reflect the VGA setting, after that, it can no longer get into desk top, system keeps saying files missing.

I have tried to install this SP3 Lite twice, first time I load VGA driver after a clean xp install, after that, it dies. Second time, I tried to install all other drivers downloaded from Acer website, it has been working fine, and leaving the VGA for the last, same thing happened after the VGA is installed.

I can verify that the drivers are all fine, as they are working with my another SP2 xp version with IE7 hacked.

Maybe something need to be looked into this lite version.. thanks.

mickeyjc, Dec 23, 2008
  9. mmad

stepppy

As above, can anyone tell me, apart from the drivers what else is missing from the Lite install?

Thank you

stepppy, Dec 23, 2008
  10. mmad

mmad

To be honest, I dont know whats been removed as the nlite log file isnt in the iso. Is there a specific feature that you may require? If so post it, and I can see if it seems to be there.

mmad, Dec 23, 2008
  11. mmad

daf1

I've downloaded XP SP3 Lite from Rapidshare as I don't have a megaupload account. I've burnt the iso to a CD, changed the boot order ont the Acer (Aspire One 150) and turned of D2D. Trouble is, The Acer tries to boot off the CD but fails, then it just boots off the hard drive into Linpus.

I've taken a look at the CD to see what files it contains. It has two directories $OEM$ and I386 and three files WIN51, WIN51IP and WIN51IPSP3. I cannot find any autorun or setup files. Is this correct?

daf1, Dec 24, 2008
  12. mmad

mmad

Hey daf1, yes those are the correct files that are in the xp I uploaded as well. The CD should be bootable so check how your actually burning it. You may be burning it as a data disc, which will not boot - as it does not have the correct files required on it.

I think you should mount the disc in a virtual emulator such as Virtualbox (I would suggest Microsoft's Virtual PC, but it is slow as hell for me), and check if the image is bootable at all. If it is, then recheck the way you are burning the disc. If that is okay, then Id check if the actual drive you are using is working properly. Hope that helps.

mmad, Dec 24, 2008
  13. mmad

DiSK

You have to burn it as an ISO, or image.

If you're using Nero, on one of the top menus, there's a thing like "Burn image...". Click that, and then browse to your ISO file. It should work then. If not, your ISO may be corrupted.

DiSK, Dec 25, 2008
  14. mmad

frandu

Happy X-mas to all...

Still I am desiring to try this version of Windows, but I got the same message on the Step 1 "Source of XP Setup". usb_prep8 does not work for me, but apparently to others. How can you make it to prepare the USB with this version? Another question: Who is using the XP Super Lite now, how's the performance after weeks of installing it? Did you managed to install everything? Play games? Watch movies? Any blues screens?

Sorry guys, just worried if this is worthy giving a shot.

Cheers!

frandu, Dec 25, 2008
  15. mmad

mmad

I dont know if this would work 100%, but couldnt you just install the xp on a virtual machine, then image it for your AAO? You could install all the needed drivers once the image is on your AAO. I'll give it a try today.

mmad, Dec 26, 2008
  16. mmad

UncleBeer

Try this one; it works!

Code:
    You have a warning. No warez posting allowed. 
    -Disk

UncleBeer, Dec 26, 2008
  17. mmad

gorgerax

I agree! Took the plunge…completly backed up my factory install (for peace of mind) on a 4gb USB stick per Macles:

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer-aspire-one-aa1backup.html#comments

Installed Ron’s TinyXP per instructions on this link and couldn’t be happier! The performance is exceeding my expectations!!! I had already ordered another 1GB of ram (a whopping $9.99 outlay) so will go ahead with that install next week, but again…this is really snappy as is; even with only 512mb ram! Everything works including wireless and webcam and the D/L includes MS Outlook, Office and Firefox as well as numerous tweaks to increase performance with the AAO and SDD

BTW…the ENTIRE thing took less than 15 minutes (actual Windows install=5:55!!!)and took only 1GB+/-!!! WAY less than the original Linux!!!

I've built/re-built countless dozens of Windows PC's in my day. This was probably the smothest and defintely fastest installs I've ever done!

gorgerax, Dec 26, 2008
  18. mmad

UncleBeer

OK, I'm curious: How is the entire thread not warez-related? Original poster gave a link to download WindowsXP. :roll:

UncleBeer, Dec 27, 2008
  19. mmad

soderkvist

Can anyone pm me the link to this light weight xp I'm reading about please since the moderator is in a bad mood...?

soderkvist, Dec 30, 2008
  20. mmad

UncleBeer

Google what gorgerax said.

(See DiSK? No link!) :lol:

UncleBeer, Dec 30, 2008
Ask a Question