Wine and the AAO

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by gregj777, Sep 22, 2008.

1. gregj777

gregj777

No, I'm not talking about Wine, the application that allows you to run Windows programs on a Linux machine (which ran really well on my old EEE PC). I'm talking Savignon Blanc, half a glass poured directly onto the keyboard of the AAO.

It happened to me last night. I had been using the AAO in the living room and had some wine while watching a movie. I keep the lights out while watching tv and reached for the glass and knocked it over onto the keyboard. It was plugged into the AC so I immediately unplugged it, turned it upside down, and took a wet rag and wiped it down. I held the power key down and forced a shut down and then left it laying upside down all night.

When I turned it on this morning it booted up fine and all seemed well, until I tried to listen to Sirius online while eating lunch. NO SPEAKERS. I figured they were fried. Yikes. Well it could have been worse. But I was hoping if I left the machine on long enough the heat it generates may "dry out" anything still impacted by the spill.

I think it worked. Tonight when I took it out of sleep mode I got a USB error warning, something about a USB port wasn't recognized. But I didn't have anything plugged into the USB ports. So I'm thinking the speakers may be via USB internally? Anyway, guess what- I clicked the error box and voila, speakera are working again just like new.

I haven't tried the external USB ports, and I have not tried the camera yet, but if those work, it appears this disaster was miraculously non-impactful to the computer at all. Which I hope says a lot about it's long term reliability and the overall integrity of the keyboard and other hardware.

gregj777, Sep 22, 2008
  2. gregj777

marauder

Hehe, nice to know that the AA1 could be that resilient. Though overnight might be a little to short though for the wine to dry one. I would have waited a week. And probably took a little look first in the inside, whether the board was soaked or not. Anyway, nice story... :lol:

marauder, Sep 22, 2008
  3. gregj777

gregj777

Well, I'm impatient lol. It's still running, and I checked the camera and the USB ports and all are well. I suppose something could still mess up but I'm thinking the critical hours are over- knock on wood.

gregj777, Sep 22, 2008
  4. gregj777

palingenesis

i don't know what it is but alcohol and laptops but they seem to like getting drunk. a bear spilled on my friends macbook and sobered up perfectly. on the other hand, some defects occured when liquor was spilled on my friends windows laptop.

so i guess maybe they are all not invincible, as in your case.

palingenesis, Sep 22, 2008
  5. gregj777

gregj777

lol,,, no it wasn't intentional and it's not something I would try on my Macbook Pro. Still happy to report though the AAO is still operating perfectly.

gregj777, Sep 30, 2008
Ask a Question