WinXP Home or Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by accord-se, Oct 20, 2008.

1. accord-se

accord-se

Hi guys

I really confuse in this :geek:

what in the best for our mini laptop Windows XP Home SP3 or Pro SP3

and if I install the Pro version is my laptop become slower

accord-se, Oct 20, 2008
  2. accord-se

nmesisca

Pro version has more networking functionalities (domains etc)
    If you dont need a domain connection, Home is just as good. Nothing to do with speed anyways.

nmesisca, Oct 20, 2008
  3. accord-se

Dartsani

If you have to ask question like that, I'm certain that you don't know how to use those "extras" in Pro version.
    So just install Home version.

Dartsani, Oct 20, 2008
  4. accord-se

accord-se

the Home sp3 version is already install but I was thinking is the pro better performance

in my PC I have the pro and you can say this is my first time using home version

accord-se, Oct 20, 2008
  5. accord-se

nmesisca

performance are the same on any version

nmesisca, Oct 20, 2008
  6. accord-se

accord-se

thanks ;)

at least I'll forget format for Por

accord-se, Oct 21, 2008
  7. accord-se

Tamrac

XP Home SP3 boots significantly faster than XP Pro. Both will perform the same, but again XP Home will require less disk space. And will have less un needed features & services no one uses. So it's XP Home for the AAO. Unless you intend to use EWF, then it will only work on Pro.

Tamrac, Oct 21, 2008
  8. accord-se

MR650

If you have a choice between Home and Pro for XP always take Pro. You can turn off the services added by pro and remove the features with add or remove, but you cannot add them into home. Encrypt, domains, easier backup, MS 2 many II'server, and a few other things that you might want are features of Pro only. You can't even run things like VPC on home w/o using orca. So, if you have a choice I would recommend pro because you just can't build home up to pro.

If you're asking whether you should pay for Pro on the AAO when you have Home, then I'd say NO. If you have the money to spend upgrade the machine and run Vista Ultimate.

One question: Since you are asking which version of XP to install, do you have an opinion about running Vista?

Instead of listening to spam ask yourself if you have applications or drivers that will not run under XP. I'm not saying windows is the most stable or secure OS... but if you are living in a windows world don't limit yourself to XP. Vista is more keyboard friendly and considering the trackpad buttons on these things suck....it's not a bad option.

MR650, Oct 22, 2008
  9. accord-se

accord-se

thank you guys so much

I have already vista Ultimate SP1 in my PC and it's doing fine and I like it very will

I don't think for install vista in my AAO 150. But maybe Ubunto later as second OS

The big issue with vista Ultimate for AAO it need more powerful hardware like 2GB ram and C2D processor and don't forget Nvidia graphic card maybe it could work without those hardware but you need your OS faster not slower

I believe vista is much batter then XP if your machine is ready for it

accord-se, Oct 22, 2008
  10. accord-se

MR650

In and of itself, Vista Ultimate does not hog more resources than other Vista builds. Many of the 'ultimate' processes are occurring in the background on normal (Home, Home Premium, Business) without any significant benefit to the User. If you do not try to run the deskscape craziness, then you have an excellent OS in Vista. Add micro-sd or the fastest memory you can fit in an adapter for readyboost and you'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

Of course more RAM is a good thing. It's good for XP and Vista. As for the Core 2 Duo processor. The major revisions in the C2D over the CD are: vt for all, 64 bits across the board, and the most significant benefit: enhanced SSE ( SIMD ). The C2D is still not a very capable chip and the number of GP registers is finally catching up to things the G5. XP is not particularly great with multiple core systems and it's not going to use most of the extended capabilities of the C2D. In general, XP performance is linear for processor speed and doesn't go into microarchitecture significantly. If you run some third party applications like antivirus suites, then you will often see better performance of those applications in XP. On the other hand, Vista is practically made for modern hardware and takes advantage of PPW processors as much as possible. In a real world multi-tasking system you would not see a significant performance penalty when using Vista on 'Designed for Microsoft Windows XP' machines. The Atom platform is a good target for Vista, but it's not necessarily the best for XP. Vista SP1 stability is leaps ahead of the way XP hangs (even when tweaked). You want your OS fast, but the less time you spend with application contention or other XP lags the better. It's a trade off with a minimum performance hit for Vista. Simply put, the N270 Atom is not a terrible processor for Vista.

As for the video card. The gma945/950 chipset isn't shabby. The driver is well developed and it handles the Vista effects fine. I don't find the 3100 series to be much better in day to day use. Would it be great to have an nvidia chipset? I think it might be more advantageous to running XP than Vista; or about the same. nview is great, window transparency and toolbar functions without tweaks are also good to have. For performance I'm not going to knock ntune. However, the Atom plus the 950 is a good combination. Vista Ultimate doesn't require the best machine available to run well.

Think about the positive things: Backup and previous versions, Excellent keyboard integration with search, love it or hate it sandboxing and user access controls, much easier on the eyes appearance.

I see lots of people reading tweak threads and asking basic questions about Microsoft Operating systems being encouraged to turn of system restore for a little bit of performance. If you are hacking around on your machine and using things like TweakUI or other PowerToys for windows, maybe a custom Royale or other theme; then you want system restore on. Vista and XP are both resource hogs. Vista just gives you some usability enhancements and more security. In a windows world I'll take that security upgrade (no matter how minor).

In summary, if you're considering XP vs Vista you should think about the time it takes to accomplish something in real world usage instead of benchmarks that give XP a slight performance edge. Use the CLI tools (msconfig, msinfo32, dxdiag, etc..) and learn some keyboard shortcuts before writing off either one.

I wish these machines came with a discounted upgrade to Vista. If it wasn't for Royale I think I'd get sick every time I saw the XP interface.

So, keep your options open. You might want to reconsider Vista on this machine.

MR650, Oct 23, 2008
Ask a Question