Wired Connection on Ubuntu Remix

Discussion in 'Linux' started by icarusfall, Oct 26, 2008.

1. icarusfall

icarusfall

Hi, I can not get any internet connection at all on my Aspire One using Ubuntu Remix. I've booted into the Live USB (most recent version, downloaded yesterday). I have not initiated the installation yet (I have previously installed it, but had exactly the same problem - no connection). I have a Belkin router with wireless (encryption used is WPA2), but I also have a Cat5 cable going from the router to the Aspire One. Yet, I don't have any connection. I have tried clicking on the connection icon, and it pops up with a list of all the wireless networks. I select my router, type in my password for the wireless (I select WEP 128 Passphrase, as there isn't an option for WPA2), and it tries to connect, but then eventually just says "no connection".

The reason I am finding this particularly strange, is that I actually have a wired connection as well, yet the Aspire is not picking up on this. Do I need to specially enable it? My main desktop runs Ubuntu Hardy, and that picks up the internet connection fine (on a wired connection), so I know the router works, and is connected to the internet. Short of the Cat5 cable being dodgy, can anyone think of any reason why it doesn't work?

Also, any pointers for connecting wirelessly would be gratefully received.

Thanks

icarusfall, Oct 26, 2008
  2. icarusfall

scottro

Wired should be using the r8169 module. You can try making sure it's enabled

lsmod |grep 8169

If not
    sudo modprobe r8169

Also, just to check, do lscpi---I don't have Hardy installed, but at the end, you should see something like R8101E ethernet.
    After that, the usual suspects, for example,
    sudo ifconfig eth0 up

As for the wireless, I always immodestly recommend my own page.

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu ... .html#5007

scottro, Oct 26, 2008
  3. icarusfall

icarusfall

OK, thanks very much for your help. It still seems to be a problem, the result of
    sudo modprobe r8169
    was
    FATAL: Module r8169 not found.

Which seems to put the kybosh on that, I guess. There's not much chance of using a wired connection if it's not in the kernel, right? Maybe I should try normal Ubuntu, rather than Ubuntu Remix? It surprises me that any distribution wouldn't come with the ethernet module though.

So that leaves wireless. It looks like the wireless software is all running: I can scan for networks, it's just when I'm prompted to enter a password, the only option I have is WEP. Does Ubuntu Remix support WPA2? I tried switching my wireless security to WEP, but that didn't work.

I guess I'll wait until Intrepid comes out, and try that.

icarusfall, Oct 26, 2008
  4. icarusfall

scottro

That's odd that the remix isn't supporting that module. The card itself is a Realtek 8101 or 8103E, but the module in later kernels (but not the 2.6.18 or so used by CentOS) should support it.

I don't know about the remix--I do vaguely remember the Intrepid (vs. Hardy) remix messing up my wireless, but I didn't investigate it, as I'd already decided I liked the normal Intrepid better.

It's odd about the wired though. I've just booted into Intrepid to make sure that it is that module.
    Yup, that's the module.

scottro, Oct 26, 2008
  5. icarusfall

icarusfall

OK, I will wait the four days for Intrepid (I think I can contain myself for that long!).

By the way, what sort of specs AAO do you have to run Ubuntu? I've got the 8GB SSD hard drive, and the 0.5G memory, and it seems a little sluggish. I switched the filesystem from ext3 to ext2 as suggested, and that did speed it up a bit, but it still seems a little treacly, does anyone else have that problem?

icarusfall, Oct 27, 2008
  6. icarusfall

Kannibaal

There is an excellent tutorial for installing ubuntu on the aspire one.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L

One of the things which needs to be done is enabling wireless.

The command to enable the wireless card "from the tutorial" is:

sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-intrepid

After which the network card works (for me at least) ;)

Kannibaal, Oct 28, 2008
  7. icarusfall

icarusfall

Thanks that is helpful. However, your solution is contingent on my being able to connect to the internet. As I say, though, the reports of Intrepid's wireless capabilities on the AAO seem to be quite good, so I'm going to try that this weekend. Thanks everyone for their help.

icarusfall, Oct 30, 2008
  8. icarusfall

scottw22

I'm currently experimenting with Ubuntu EEE and I more or less have full functionality save the wired NIC. I pray success for the Kuki crew because "everything works but..." is getting old.

scottw22, Oct 31, 2008
Ask a Question