wireless connected but no internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by newbie05, Dec 24, 2008.

1. newbie05

newbie05

Hi,

I've been having alot of trouble with my wireless connection. It says connected, but when I open the browser no sites will work or everything loads extremely slow. I have contacted my wireless modem supporter but they can't figure it out either and suggested it was my antivirus program. I deleted my antivirus program and but it doesn't work. I have also turned off my firewall but it doesn't work either. However, I don't think it's a problem with my laptop as the wireless works everywhere else but my own home.

Thanks very much for any help or suggestions!

newbie05, Dec 24, 2008
  2. newbie05

oath101

I have the same issue. I just got my new Acer last night. I spent 2 hours with my internet provider and the only way I could access google was by entering this address 74.125.19.147. I 've been trying to reach someone live at Acer and they keep cutting me off. I hope someone responds how to get access to the internet.

oath101, Dec 25, 2008
  3. newbie05

DonQuichote

If you can only work though using IP addresses, you probably did not get a DHCP lease. DHCP is a service that runs on a network server (or a router, as they are little servers also). This service configures your computer for participating in the network: it tells what (internal) IP address it has, what the gateway is (which routes the outside requests like request for internet pages) and where the name server can be found. Without a nameserver known, you can only use IP addresses.

If you work with Linux, open a terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    This will restart your network connection and shows you what is found. It should be finished rather fast if there is a network at hand. If not, there is either trouble with the network itself (a bad connection) or the server is not properly configured.

DonQuichote, Dec 25, 2008
  4. newbie05

DiSK

Is this your own wireless router? Or someone elses?

Did you set the router up by yourself? Because it seems you only blame the laptop. Your router may have MAC filtering (I believe) set up. So...You would either need to disable that, or add the AAO's MAC into the excluded list in your router.

DiSK, Dec 25, 2008
  5. newbie05

agdros

have the same problem.
    Wireless or wired is the same situation.

DHCP, and DNS servers are fine. I have checked this 20 times or more. I have 4 other systems on the same network and they are all fine.

my aspire one is a 1570 so its a winxp system.
    nslookup works fine. :D
    tracert to a fully qualified domain name(fqdn) does NOT work. :(
    tracert to an IP does work. (use traceroute on linux) :?
    ping to a fqdn does NOT work. :x
    ping to an IP does work. :?:
    IE to a URL using a fqdn does NOT work. :roll:
    IE to an IP does work. :cry:

Something is intercepting the DNS queries on the system itself. There was a trojan (go.google.com redirects) a few months back that did this exact type of thing.... BUT I just took this thing out of the box and unless they are packaging trojans with the bloatware there is no way this system has gotten a virus/malware/trojan.

I did intentionally uninstall MSN and a few other things before I started trying to connect to the network. I am about to uninstall the entire network stack and start over.

oh and netbios naming does work..

agdros, Dec 26, 2008
  6. newbie05

agdros

currently restoring to factory defaults using the eRecovery Manager.
    I have a bad feeling that Mcafee security suite is my problem... that was one of the first pieces of bloatware I removed and apparently it doesn't like to be uninstalled. There is definitely a firewall module in that suite and that is more than enough junk in the network stack to disrupt DNS requests.

agdros, Dec 26, 2008
  7. newbie05

agdros

ok... restore completed.

Mcafee Security Suite is the culprit.
    In their brilliance, not only did they create a horrible anti-virus/security suite, but they also failed to create a proper uninstaller.

Not too sure how to get rid of it without running into the same problems. There are plenty of discussions on the web on this topic.

If your network connection is fine, but DNS is broken, and you uninstalled Mcafee... you are here.
    If you can restore to factory defaults, it will restore Mcafee, and your DNS will work again.

agdros, Dec 26, 2008
Ask a Question