Wireless connection on 10" D150

Discussion in 'Networking' started by karenbrummer, Mar 17, 2009.

1. karenbrummer

karenbrummer

Hi there

I have been umable to connect to the internet at all on my new Acer Aspire One D150. My bios is 1.03 and i have no idea how to find out what driver it uses.

Please can anyone help me? After reading all of the wireless problems I'm seriously thinking of taking it back and getting a refund before my return period runs out!

Thanks
    Karen

karenbrummer, Mar 17, 2009
  2. karenbrummer

seatzie

lets take a step back, is it Linux or XP?
    does your wifi notification work to say its on and networks are available?
    can you connect to the router but not the internet?
    does the d150 have a firewall turned on?
    can you try connecting in someone elses house incase its your internet connection?
    or does any other equipment you have connect to the net okay?

seatzie, Mar 18, 2009
  3. karenbrummer

karenbrummer

lets take a step back, is it Linux or XP? XP
    does your wifi notification work to say its on and networks are available? It says Wifi is on, and yes I can see networks
    can you connect to the router but not the internet? No cannot connect to router
    does the d150 have a firewall turned on? Yes (but have also tried with it turned off)
    can you try connecting in someone elses house incase its your internet connection? Tried that - still no connection
    or does any other equipment you have connect to the net okay? Yes my other 2 notebooks connect no problem

karenbrummer, Mar 19, 2009
  4. karenbrummer

Simply_Graham

Hi Karen

A couple of things to try, firstly if you are seeing other networks along with your own there is a good chance that your wifi is working.
    Try this..
    Select a neighbour’s signal that’s shown as having security, and try to connect, do you get a window open to type in the authentication ? If you do you, you now know that your Wi-Fi is transmitting as well as receiving.

Knowing this have you set any additional security on the router such as MAC address filtering ?

Can you tell us if it seems to connect, but states that its still trying to acquire an address, some router's do have problems with some Wi-Fi cards and require there firmware to be updated. Even though they are working fine with other laptops.

Wish you luck
    Graham

Simply_Graham, Mar 26, 2009
  5. karenbrummer

Simply_Graham

Hi Karen

Forgot to ask if you have tried updating the WIfi drivers?
    can you also post what BIOS you are using, many others have cured problems with there smaller screen cousin's by updating both ! ;)

Graham

6. karenbrummer

karenbrummer

Hi Graham

Thanks for your helpful responses, yes I had updated the drivers and bios, also had tried connecting to neighbours network and double checked there is no MAC filtering etc. In the end I took it to a computer technician, and he tried everything and couldn't get it online so it has been returned to the store! :cry: After reading hundreds of posts with problems and not being able to get it online I just had to bite the bullet and return.

Thanks anyway, appreciate your help.

Karen

karenbrummer, Mar 26, 2009
  7. karenbrummer

Simply_Graham

Hi Karen

I'm sorry you have had to return your laptop, I hope its not soured your view to much.

Wish you luck with whatever you choose as a replacement. :)

Graham

Ask a Question