Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by MrC, Nov 5, 2008.

1. MrC

MrC

Hi, just joined, got a new "One" with XP, when i try to connect wireless shows good signal etc. but won`t connect just says "acquiring network address" and doesn`t go any further. Works fine hardwired and other laptop worked ok, anyone got any ideas ?

MrC, Nov 5, 2008
  2. MrC

markh

It's hard to say from that information - can you describe what you've done and what you're trying to connect to? As a starter, if you've got an encrypted connection, it might be worth (briefly!) unencrypting it to see if that's the cause - if it then works, you've narrowed down where the problem is.

markh, Nov 5, 2008
  3. MrC

nmesisca

sounds like its configured for acquiring an IP address via a DHCP server. can you confirm this is the case?
    if so, do you have a DHCP server in the network you're trying to connect to?
    if not, you need to go in the TCP IP properties of the network card and assign a manual IP address to it.

nmesisca, Nov 5, 2008
  4. MrC

MrC

Sorry, totally new to this, cable modem, netgear router, desktop connected via cable, acer works fine when connected by the cable but refuses to connect wireless, is that any help ???????????

MrC, Nov 5, 2008
  5. MrC

nmesisca

well if you can connect using wired, it should be connecting via wireless in the same way.
    have a look in the configuration of your router, in the DHCP settings if there is something that is not allowing wireless to be served by DHCP.
    also, I am assuming the wireless function has been enabled in the router and no filtering (MAC or IP) is active?
    if it is enabled, have you secured it (or maybe is secured by default) and you are using the correct 'password' to connect to it?

nmesisca, Nov 5, 2008
  6. MrC

MrC

The laptop that this replaced was an Acer Travelmate which was also wireless and that worked fine. I have just spoken to the Acer technical line, who, incidentally, say they are not Acer !!, and was told that it `might` be a software issue to do with the channel number, apparently the Acer defaults to channel 13, my router shows channel 6, but they can`t help me and gave me a 0906 number at premium rate. I think the pc is going back and i`ll find another make more friendly.

MrC, Nov 5, 2008
  7. MrC

nmesisca

why dont you try changing the channel then?

nmesisca, Nov 5, 2008
  8. MrC

MrC

I have, Europe is supposed to use 12 and 13 but i`ve tried all of them and still no luck.

MrC, Nov 5, 2008
  9. MrC

nmesisca

sounds weird to be honest.

I assume you have reset the router?
    And what driver version are you using?

nmesisca, Nov 5, 2008
  10. MrC

George Shering

Got mine from Tesco today, connected immediately to BT router, just had to give the long address

George Shering, Nov 5, 2008
  11. MrC

Duncan_Rowland

If you've stilll got the travelmate you could just enter the setting from that... should be the same.

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 5, 2008
  12. MrC

MrC

Unfortunately i`ve disposed of the T/mate, i`ve tried every channel number, reboot, shutdown, etc. etc. Shows excellent signal strength, shows all my neighbours but still refuses to connect. Got to be something i`m missing but ????????

MrC, Nov 6, 2008
  13. MrC

fweigel

MrC

Its not the "channel number". That information will come from the router!

Most likely -- the router was set up with "MAC filtering". Ask the person who set up the router to add the MAC address of your new laptop. Note that this problem is not specific to the Acer Aspire One, but will affect *any* new device.

fweigel, Nov 6, 2008
  14. MrC

clc4912

This sounds very possible. It sounds like the One is finding the wirelessbut failing to connect. I would check for MAC filtering and check to make sure the security passcode is correct.

clc4912, Nov 6, 2008
  15. MrC

MrC

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the help. I set the router up myself about 3 years ago and havn`t needed to touch it since. Decided to replace aging T/Mate with nice new Netbook. Have checked and tried just about every config. i can think of but all i get is if i leave it on auto, "Acquiring network address" and if i click on connect "Please wait while Windows connects to the `*******` network, waiting for the network to be ready..."
    Using the Netgear Smartwizard i`ve been through all the settings, tried various changes, i`m showing a Mac address for both pc`s, desktop and netbook.
    When i click on Wireless Network Connection i show 5 networks in range with my own showing 5 bars, Automatic and a star.

MrC, Nov 7, 2008
Ask a Question