Wireless Issues in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows' started by themediaman, Jan 1, 2009.

1. themediaman

themediaman

I've had quite a lot of success with Windows 7 (build 7000) on the AAO
    viewtopic.php?f=70&t=8769&start=10#p58137

However, the biggest issue I still have is that the wireless occasionally disappears. I used to have this issue on Linpus frequently, but over time (and updates) it would work without a hitch. After installing Windows 7 last night, the issue has returned.

The wireless completely dies. It doesn't pick up my WLAN, nor any of my neighbours. It's like the wireless card just dies. Soft reboots don't work, I have to do a full, hard reboot. Good thing Windows 7 boots fast!

Even still, has anyone else had this problem? I'm sure if I take this issue to Acer, then they'll blame the beta OS. However, this problem was definitely there before.

themediaman, Jan 1, 2009
  2. themediaman

DynaMight

I had exactly the same problem. When it does it, if you look in Device Manager you'll see an unknown device called something like network adapter, even when you point it towards the correct drivers it does not accept it, I even tried forcing it but it was unable to start the device.... When I reboot it fixes it...until I reboot again...

Only thing I noticed is that the little orange WLAN LED on the front was never on. Also flicking the switch did nothing, although the onscreen display said 'WLAN OFF' and 'WLAN ON' etc

I have zero issues with WinXP so I assume its a OS and/or driver issue which I assume will be fixed at some point towards release date :)

DynaMight, Jan 1, 2009
  3. themediaman

berzerkus

Just an FYI. I installed windows 7 today. My AAO has an aftermarket wifi card the DW-1390 which I purchased and installed so that I could load Mac OSX on it. Win7 automatically installed drivers for it and I've been using it without a hitch since. All the drivers installed automatically in fact, with the exception of the media readers. Although I inserted an SD card and it did read it, but I doubt it'll read any other type until the remaining drivers are installed.

The wifi actually detects 3 times as many networks in the area as it did under XP. 15 now instead of 3-5 before. Although most are unusable, it's still impressive.

Just thought this info may be helpful for some.

berzerkus, Jan 2, 2009
  4. themediaman

x7or

I also had the same wireless issues, sometimes WiFi would work and after rebooting it didn't and so on. So I downloaded and installed the latest driver for the atheros wireless card from

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/no ... e_150.html

And after that everything worked fine. So if anyone still has some issues you could try downloading the drivers.

x7or, Jan 7, 2009
  5. themediaman

AdFad666

I initially had some wireless problems with 7000. After i messed up my first installation, i decided to delete the partition to reinstall, and I took the opportunity to upgrade to the latest BIOS (3309). Since then I've had no wireless problems at all using the default Win7 driver.

AdFad666, Jan 7, 2009
  6. themediaman

kilimax

Having very similar issues this side and despite updating Bios to 3309 and installing very latest Vista driver, it persists. I have two issues.

1. At boot up, the wireless hardware is not detected and I get no wireless access. (usually cured by reboot)
    2. More annoyingly though, when the wireless card is detected and enabled, I get persistent drop outs when using the connection. Suddenly and without warning, I lose connection to my home network and I cannot reconnect. I usually have to try a few times before it allows me to reconnect.

I am sure these will all be addressed by the time W7 goes RTM and so far, this gremlin aside, I am getting very good results.

:p

kilimax, Jan 13, 2009
  7. themediaman

lohtse

I install win7 but like most got the wifi problem... In the end I just deleted win7 as got sick of reinstalling(every driver pos) or rebooting just to get it working... I like the look and feel of 7 but without wifi it sort of defeats part of the reason for my netbook.... Thank god for dual boot XP is back to being primary...

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question