Wireless Issues with OneLinux/Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by prefix100, Sep 12, 2008.

1. prefix100

prefix100

I've installed OneLinux, after installing the wireless wouldn't work so I went through the guide on the Ubuntu Wiki, and I can connect to an unsecured wireless network like 400 miles away, but I can't connect to my own personal WEP protected network.

Is anyone else experiencing problems connecting to WEP networks?

prefix100, Sep 12, 2008
  2. prefix100

donec

Did you right click on the wireless monitor and select the correct connection? At that point you should have been asked to give your WEP password. At least that is how it worked for mine even though I use WAP protection.

donec, Sep 14, 2008
  3. prefix100

scottro

I had no trouble with the onelinux install. I use WPA2 personal.

I think that with Intrepid, I had to update to get the 2.26.27 kernel that works out of the box with the wireless, but my memory is hazy on it.

scottro, Sep 14, 2008
  4. prefix100

Guest Guest

I did bite the bullet and installed Ubuntu last night. I followed the instructions to the letter and compiled and installed the WiFi driver.
    I can connect to an open WiFi but when I tried to connect to a WiFi with WEP I failed. It kept on asking me to enter the key, despite copy-pasting the hex code several times. Does ayone know how to solve this problem. It is really irritating.

Guest, Sep 15, 2008
  5. prefix100

Ferrograph

Yeah I have this issue too. My SSID is hidden and I have WEP128. Just keeps asking for the key which Im now sick of typing in. It see's all the nearby networks.

I have Vista running in another partition too which works like a charm! For £60 vista's a good option with all this hassle getting Linux to work.

Ferrograph, Sep 17, 2008
  6. prefix100

dreniac

I've updated the Kernel posted by Syco54645 which fixed the W-Lan for me.
    Beta 4 is on it way :shock:

dreniac, Sep 17, 2008
  7. prefix100

madmike

So what do we have to do? I also suffer this problem and don't know how to fix it. What do you mean with beta 4?

madmike, Sep 18, 2008
  8. prefix100

dreniac

Beta 4 was released but withdrawn: http://onelinux.org/download/beta/
    Apparently some issues with it. We will just have to wait until a stable Version will be released.

I have beta 1 installed and upgraded the kernel: http://www.splra.org/oneLinux/

Beta stage means it is still in development and contains bugs, so not ready for everyday usage. Use at own risk as this is not stable yet!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_r ... life_cycle

dreniac, Sep 19, 2008
  9. prefix100

donec

I am also running Onelinux beta 1 and the only problems I have are sound, suspend or hibernate also after customization and adding the programs I want there is not enough room to create a master full backup remastersys live CD/DVD (on a USB stick) that contains all my data. I can make a sharable live CD/DVD though.

donec, Sep 20, 2008
  10. prefix100

-Dome-

I use kubuntu 8.04.1 and I had the same problem with WEP. After some searching along the web, many people seem to have this problem with the WEP encryption. During my search I found a lot of good opinions about Wicd. So, at the end and after many useless attempts to get the WEP working, I unistalled knetworkmanager and I installed Wicd. This software is more complete to manage the wireless security settings. I use WPA with no problem. So my tip is that Wicd can be considered a valid alternative to set the wireless settings.
    To be precise sometimes I have a problem with the wireless: sometimes after a reboot it stops to work (and the only thing that makes it restarts is turn off and then on the AA1 (so I mean that turning off the AA1 solves the problem, but not rebooting)). Anyway I think it's a driver problem (it's not so unlikely with the AA1 wireless) and not due to the use of Wicd.

-Dome-, Sep 20, 2008
  11. prefix100

jlozinski

This is exactly what pisses me off about linpus and the AAO. If Acer had only just gone and talked to a grown up distro, like ubuntu, and worked with them instead of these idiots at linpus then we wouldn't have to bash our heads against the wall to do stuff which should just work. It gives people the impression that linux is a pain on the ass, when it really is a joy when stuff isn't so flakey..

jlozinski, Sep 25, 2008
  12. prefix100

RockDoctor

Before you bash Linpus, what doesn't work? This forum seems to be about people having problems with wifi in Ubuntu/OneLinux. The only thing I've encountered that works in Linpus but not in Ubuntu or Fedora is the xD card reader component of the right-hand card slot. The reason for that is that Linpus is using a set of kernel modules that are not part of the mainline kernel, and don't work with more recent versions of the kernel. Linpus is also using the non-mainline madwifi drivers for wireless because the ath5k driver in their kernel did not suport the Atheros chip used in the AA1. I upgraded my Ubuntu install to the latest Intrepid Ibex kernel (2.6.27-4) last night, and the ath5k driver was working so well I didn't bother replacing it with the new madwifi drivers.

RockDoctor, Sep 25, 2008
  13. prefix100

jlozinski

Its not about what doesn't work, but what has been locked down. The fact that you need to go to a terminal to do simple things. Why should a user have to edit an XML file to add skype into a menu (which they then mess up on an update)..

Thats not how other distros work. You can't fault linpus on working out of the box all hardware, and software.. but trying to do something extra, like install and use skype and it's not easy. Thats the frustration, it gives people the impression that linux is hard to use if you want to do anything more complex than word and email..

jlozinski, Sep 26, 2008
Ask a Question