Wireless-N Card

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by mikekirk, Jan 26, 2009.

1. mikekirk

mikekirk

I've got my Dell 1390 installed in my Aspire One, and now happily using OS X, much better than Linpus Lite! I was just wondering though if there are any Wireless-N cards that will work in the Aspire with OS X? It would help greatly with video streaming across my network.

mikekirk, Jan 26, 2009
  2. mikekirk

robo

I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that 802.11n used a different antenna setup (MIMO) from 802.11b/g, so a drop in replacement might not be possible.

Again, i might be wrong on this though.

robo, Jan 26, 2009
  3. mikekirk

pink

My A150-ZG5 has two antenna cables going to two sockets on the original Atheros card.
    This arrangement is supported by the Del1390(b/g) and 1490 (n), and also
    by Broadcomm BCM94311 (b/g) and BCM94321 (n). Any of these cards are reported
    to work in the AAO, the value of "work" may depend on the quality of the
    IO80211Family.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext if they've been hacked.

pink, Jan 26, 2009
  4. mikekirk

mikekirk

Is the Dell 1490 N? I thought it was A/B/G?

mikekirk, Jan 27, 2009
  5. mikekirk

cheops2006

I have installed an Atheros AR5008X ABGN and it works a treat with just 2 wires got it off ebay for about £30. Recommended

Ade

cheops2006, Jan 27, 2009
  6. mikekirk

mikekirk

Superb, thanks for the pointer; I've just ordered one off eBay for the same price. I'm hoping once I've got N-networking and if the video streaming performance is good enough I'll be able to sell my Macbook.

mikekirk, Jan 27, 2009
  7. mikekirk

Fermenter

I just installed a Dell 1505 (MX-846) card, 802.11 b/g/n. $30.00 used on eBay. It has 2 antenna connectors, not 3. Antenna connection to the card (black to black or black to white, etc) does not matter. Black to white and vice versa worked physically because of cable length.
    I have a dual boot iAtkos 10.5.6/ XP Home machine.

The card worked immediately and without issue in OSX. Started up and it worked.
    Win XP did not recognize it. Had to Google and download the driver from Dell, installed and it's working fine now.

ONLY issue (in both XP and OSX) is that the left activity light on the wireless indicator (front right below the arrow keys) is not working as it did with the stock card. The right side light comes on when the card is switched on, or enabled by pulldown/ system tray menu in both OS's. On/Off switch works in both OS's.

Streams iTunes to my Airport Express as well.

Fermenter, Jan 29, 2009
  8. mikekirk

Ranger Wolf

See now you have me wondering, because the left led has never worked on my machine. the right one is always on when power is to the card, and it blinks when in use. its been that way for a few reformats so i always thought that was normal. Am I wrong? o.o

Ranger Wolf, Jan 29, 2009
  9. mikekirk

james_mtl

I was under the impression that the left LED was for the 3G card ( so if you don't have that option it is normal it's not lighting up ).

james_mtl, Jan 29, 2009
  10. mikekirk

mikekirk

I think that is normal, the left LED never lights, and the right hand one will only blink with certain drivers, for instance it doesn't blink on mine with either Linpus Lite or OS X, but it does blink if I install Windows.

mikekirk, Jan 30, 2009
  11. mikekirk

Fermenter

Maybe I'm crazy (well, not maybe) but I'm sure it used to flash during wireless I/O activity. I don't have 3G in mine (yet...).
    Anyway, my point was, that the only "issue" is a non-issue. :)

Fermenter, Jan 30, 2009
  12. mikekirk

mikekirk

My AR5008X I bought off eBay arrived this morning, and I was delighted to find that it came supplied with a third WiFi antenna on a tiny daughterboard with a fly-lead and connector to attach to the card! I've just installed it, and stuck the third antenna to the hard-drive, and I am now connecting to my N network at 130Mbs. :) I can now stream my EyeTV, and sell my Macbook! :D

mikekirk, Jan 31, 2009
  13. mikekirk

cheops2006

Hi

Thats great to hear, yeah I got the same one. Works a treat although I didnt use the third antenna and it works fine for me, glad to be of service :)

Best

Ade.

cheops2006, Jan 31, 2009
Ask a Question