Wireless stops working when the search bar is disabled.

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by The Bruce, Dec 8, 2008.

1. The Bruce

The Bruce

I do not want to have the search bar on my Desktop. When I disable the search bar I find that the wireless network does not work.

I am using the Linpus version of the Aspire One. In order to disable the search bar I modify the /etc/xdg/xfce4-session/xfce4-session.rc file by commenting out the following line with a '#'.

Client3_Command=/usr/share/search-bar/start-search_bar.sh

changes to

#Client3_Command=/usr/share/search-bar/start-search_bar.sh

Upon restarting the wifi does not work. It seems that commenting out that line in the xfce4-session.rc file prevents whatever starts the wireless networking from running.

The annoying part is that if instead of commenting out start-search_bar.sh from the xfce4-session.rc you can just comment out everything in the start-search_bar.sh file and everything works. This makes little sense to me. Has anyone come across this issue and/or found a reasonable solution?

The Bruce, Dec 8, 2008
  2. The Bruce

3ld468

Hello The Bruce,
    According to this article in The Register commenting out the contents of start-search_bar.sh is the way to go.
    Like you, I cannot think why simply not running the script should not work but there you are.
    Cheers,
    Mike

3ld468, Dec 8, 2008
  3. The Bruce

The Bruce

I spent some time last night poking at the Linpus configuration files. Wow! They are quite a mess. I have considered just dumping Linpus and installing another lite Linux/Gnu OS. But I can't stand having a problem I can't understand. So I will now opine my theories that I will test tonight.

The file that starts the wireless services and others, like USB, is /etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh .

This file is executed every time I startup my Aspire One (AO). But it turns out that sometimes the wireless starts and other times it doesn't. Curious isn't it? I think there might be a timing issue involved. I believe that the wireless service and others are not "ready" to interact with XFCE when it starts it’s support processes. I can support my idea because after the desktop is loaded I can manually issue the command to start the wireless manager and the wireless works.

The trouble I am experiencing might be because the HAL daemon might not be fully initialized by the time the network manager is started.

I have two ideas to try.

1. Force the script to pause for a couple of seconds after the HAL daemon starts. Hopefully it will be enough time get fully running.

2. I can start the HAL daemon earlier in the boot up.

If this solution works the commenting out the Client3_Command=/usr/share/search-bar/start-search_bar.sh in /etc/xdg/xfce4-session/xfce4-session.rc should work and we will know why it works.

I think the term “hacking” has lost it’s meaning.

Thanks,

Erik

The Bruce, Dec 9, 2008
  4. The Bruce

Laffer

Hello The Bruce,

the easiest way to disable the Acer Search bar is to start a terminal und type in "pirut".
    There you have to search for "search bar" and deactivate the entry. After a reboot the search bar is away and all other things are working.
    I hope that helps you.
    Reinhard

Laffer, Dec 9, 2008
  5. The Bruce

The Bruce

Hmmm . . . that is the easiest and most sensible path. :D

But I persists on . . .

The Bruce, Dec 10, 2008
  6. The Bruce

The Bruce

Continuing . . .

So The HAL daemon is started in the proper place. So I am a little mystified as to why it would not be ready by the time the XFCE desktop runs. But I put a 5 second delay in the /etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh before the NetworkManager is loaded. This does solve the wireless issue. But I noticed that I sometimes I get a HAL error windows while the XFCE desktop is loading. So I am going to move the delaying line (/usr/bin/sleep 5) earlier in the XFCE starting scripts.

I'm also going to poke at the HAL daemon and see what is taking so long.

The Bruce, Dec 10, 2008
  7. The Bruce

hpfx

ho, please let me know what is this famous command to start wireless manager manually ?
    it will save my time, thank you.
    Regards.

hpfx, Dec 11, 2008
  8. The Bruce

The Bruce

This starts the network manager:

sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

The Bruce, Dec 12, 2008
  9. The Bruce

dj_steve

sudo service NetworkManager start would also work

dj_steve, Dec 29, 2008