wireless working intermittently - 1 in 3 restarts - solved

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jamesb72, Oct 8, 2008.

1. jamesb72

jamesb72

UPDATE: I believe disabling search bar below was the cause of this weird wifi problem, also shutdown/restart with power plugged in doesn't seem to power cycle wifi card - when I revert to search bar, and unplugged mains and switch off/on this now works fine!

I've had my One a few days, and loving it, made 3 changes tonight:

1. installed Skype from acer ftp site
    ftp://ftp.acer-euro.com/netbook/aspire_ ... apps/skype

2. disabled search bar $ sudo mousepad /etc/xdg/xfce4-session/xfce4-session.rc
    insert # at start of line -> Client3_Command=/usr/share/search-bar/start-search_bar.sh

3. made online updates all optional $ sudo sed -i.bak s:Critical:Optional: /usr/bin/onlineupdate
    (I have never run online update, and probably won't but didn't fancy it running riot if I ever need to)

Rebooted and all fine working wirelessly, checked Skype was working and its fine, surfer about with firefox, everything worked perfectly.

Next time I switched One on wireless doesn't come up in toolbar (toolbar flickered just after booting as if it was trying to pop an icon in but failed), I can start network centre fine, but can't connect to wifi and if I click new Wlan the scan window comes up with nothing - like wifi module can't be seen.

I did 2 or 3 reboots, which made no difference, was just about to give up and boot from recovery usb, so I switched off One and unplugged from mains, walked over to my other PC to check internet for any solutions when I tried one more time, and it works fine ?? One had been off for 5-10 minutes before this last try and had been unplugged from mains ?

This is all in the exact same location, wireless signal and router all fine (2nd laptop running throughout), so is definately an issue with the One and wifi.

I've put back the search bar (can't believe it was the cause), and rebooted, no wifi, rebooted again, its now working perfectly ??

Reading around forums, I wonder if unplugging mains and switching off/on is needed to recover from this blip ?

jamesb72, Oct 8, 2008
Ask a Question