word processing

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by heelsfinl4, May 24, 2009.

1. heelsfinl4

heelsfinl4

Does this netbook come with word processing software? if so, what is it, and is it completely compatible with Microsoft Word? I know some netbooks come with Works, which has a watered down version of Word. I was hoping this netbook had this as well. Thanks in advance

heelsfinl4, May 24, 2009
  2. heelsfinl4

dendielie

I don't know if the acer 751 comes with any word processing software,but even if it doesn't you could download openoffice = http://www.openoffice.org/ it's free,fully compatible with microsoft word and much better then works.You should give it a go ;)

dendielie, May 24, 2009
  3. heelsfinl4

heelsfinl4

Thanks for the help. I suppose I could do the same for anti-virus, rather than purchasing it. I was looking at a different netbok brand because it included Works and Norton Anti-virus, but I suppose I could save some money doing what you mentioned. Thanks again

heelsfinl4, May 24, 2009
  4. heelsfinl4

dendielie

For the antivirus you could use avira,avast or avg.No need to buy anything but the netbook ;)

dendielie, May 24, 2009
  5. heelsfinl4

zlatan24

One day I work with my word files and after that I saved them and went to bed,on next morning they were corrupted,and accidentally in inet I found nice tool-recover .docx files,which solves problem with word files,it helped me many times,besides that it is free as far as I know,utiltiy has many admissibilities,it can help you and recover your damaged files in Microsoft Word format,will results in a preview window, that shows recovered text,recovering .docx documents and recovery docx became so easy, as never before, recover corrupt docx files right now, this reliable solution will save many hours of your precious time for manual recover damaged docx file.

zlatan24, Jun 28, 2009
  6. heelsfinl4

TrackSmart

Mine came with MS Works SE. This version is supported by advertising. You find this version on almost any new computer. I've never used it, so I can't tell you how intrusive the advertising is. You can probably find reviews of Microsoft Works SE online.

Personally, you'd be better served installing Open Office, which is a full-fledged office suite and can open and save files in MS Word format. Sure, a few extra fancy MS Word features may not be supported, but for the most part you won't have many troubles once you get used to it. That's my take anyway.

TrackSmart, Jun 28, 2009
  7. heelsfinl4

runtohell121

i think mine came with microsoft works which includes words.

runtohell121, Jun 28, 2009
  8. heelsfinl4

zendik

OpenOffice.org might be a bit heavy for the 1.2Ghz Atom, but there's always AbiWord (http://www.abisource.com), which is very full-featured and lightweight. And try Opera or Google Chrome for browsing. And the release candidate for Firefox 3.5 feels much snappier than older versions, too.

There's really no need to buy anything just for basic virus protection or word processing.

zendik, Jun 28, 2009
  9. heelsfinl4

zicada

It's 1.33 ghz. Openoffice runs just fine on it. The CPU isn't the only factor having to do with performance in a system mate. IMO everyones going a little nuts over the z520 being "only 1.33 ghz. In any case its plenty of power for simple word processing. Hell a pentium 90 can run openoffice just fine.

zicada, Jun 29, 2009
  10. heelsfinl4

Felix[GER]

good point zicada. I get all my student work done on the 751 very well. Bought the frist avalible on 29. may and got lots of stuff done in the last 4 weeks. Even with Word2007 and 300+ pages .pdf or building charts with excel is not really an issue.

Felix[GER], Jun 29, 2009
  11. heelsfinl4

zendik

If something like AbiWord can handle what he needs to get done without all the overhead of OpenOffice.org, that would be a good thing, right? Unless he's creating some very complex documents, something like Word or Oo_Org Writer is overkill.

I don't care what you guys say, the processor in this thing IS slow and OpenOffice.org IS heavy. Why run it on a machine with very limited resources if there's a smaller, faster alternative?

Claiming a 1.24Ghz Atom is anything but slow won't make it so. All that does is create unrealistic expectations for people who haven't used one of these in person.

Don't get me wrong, this is an awesome machine that fits into a nice little market niche, and it's great for getting things done (albeit at a plodding pace and one thing at a time) but one has to approach it with a certain understanding of just what it's limitations are or one will end up very frustrated very quickly.

It may be "just fine" for you, but look around the Web. That isn't the case for a lot of people.

zendik, Jun 29, 2009
  12. heelsfinl4

lararefaeli

Hi...
    There isn't any system available which has inbuilt word processor.There are few softwares like openoffice which is free to download.

lararefaeli, Aug 26, 2009
  13. heelsfinl4

zlatan24

One day I had big problem.My word file was damaged and I fortunately found in net-text recovery word 2003,tool helped me in seconds free of cost.Moreover utility could use a backup copy and restore all text files from scratch.

zlatan24, Oct 25, 2009
Ask a Question