*Working* Synaptics TouchPad Driver for Win7

Discussion in 'Windows' started by pr0teus, Jan 17, 2009.

1. pr0teus

pr0teus

After installing Windows 7 on my Aspire One, I noticed that the default driver that it installs is the standard PS/2 Mouse driver, thus eliminating all the cool Synaptics gesture controls like vertical and horizontal scrolling areas. I tried installing the driver from Acer's support site in compatibility mode (I've read on this and other sites that this technique works for most of the Acer XP drivers). Most of them installed properly, but the Synaptics one would cause the mouse to "crash" when I tried to use the vertical scroll area (had to use Task Manager to terminate the Synaptics driver and then the mouse un-froze).

Anyway, I figured I was stuck with the PS/2 driver after much searching. I just now got the idea to go to Synaptics' website and try to download their latest driver. I just finished installing it and it works great! Here's a link to the driver I used:

http://www.synaptics.com/support/drivers

Just download the latest Vista driver, install, reboot and you are good to go!

Enjoy!

pr0teus, Jan 17, 2009
  2. pr0teus

t33r3x

thanks, i installed it.

but, wtf does it do???

t33r3x, Jan 17, 2009
  3. pr0teus

wrek

wrek, Jan 17, 2009
  4. pr0teus

pr0teus

Well, it allowed me access to the Synaptics Device Settings (under Mouse properties in the Control Panel). From here you can adjust the vertical/horizontal scroll regions and all that other fun stuff. Unfortunately, the tray icon in the taskbar does not appear.. Everything else works as it should though. :D

pr0teus, Jan 18, 2009
  5. pr0teus

Chimera

If you use the 11.x driver from the Acer link above, you can also use 2-finger-scroll under windows 7 (from the sourceforge site) which I find immensely helpful on the small AA1 touchpad. 2-finger-scroll requires an 11.x Synaptics driver.

Chimera, Jan 18, 2009
  6. pr0teus

rmancl

two finger scroll works with the synaptics driver as well

rmancl, Jan 18, 2009
  7. pr0teus

wrek

What is this magical two finger scroll ya'll are talking about? :)

wrek, Jan 18, 2009
  8. pr0teus

t33r3x

ahhh i get it now. cool feature.

two finger scroll? what is that?

t33r3x, Jan 18, 2009
  9. pr0teus

pr0teus

Hrmm. I tried to install this driver, but couldn't get it to work properly. When I tried to scroll, the mouse would lock up until I terminated the synaptics controller process. Is there something special you did to get this driver to install properly? I'm fine with the 10.x driver, but I would like to give the 2-finger scroll a try.

pr0teus, Jan 18, 2009
  10. pr0teus

AdFad666

Woo this two finger scrolling is amazingly useful! especially with our tiny trackpads. However I reccommend changing the scroll wheel setting to 1 character not 3 in the Win7 mouse properties, it's too fast otherwise.

Scrolling feels most natural for me with my two middle fingers, so I've also set middle-click to "two+one" so when I have the two fingers resting on the pad, an index finger tap will open links in firefox in a new tab :)

AdFad666, Jan 18, 2009
  11. pr0teus

pr0teus

I just tried re-installing the synaptics driver from Acer's site again, and everything is working fine now. Strange. I also installed the 2 finger scrolling app and I agree, this is very awesome. Thanks for the tip!

pr0teus, Jan 18, 2009
  12. pr0teus

wrek

I tried the two finger scrolling thing and I just don't get it... ? You use two fingers to scroll? Do you have to disable PINCH on the synaptic first?

wrek, Jan 18, 2009
  13. pr0teus

DareDevil

i used the 11.0.4 driver that u guys gave from the acer website n updated the driver form device manager because the compatibility mode gave a error n wasnt installing...after that the driver worked fine but it just got stuck n did not respond until some time till windows killed it...any help guys??

DareDevil, Jan 19, 2009
  14. pr0teus

DynaMight

DynaMight, Jan 19, 2009
  15. pr0teus

DareDevil

yay thanks those drivers worked perfectly.....

DareDevil, Jan 20, 2009
  16. pr0teus

AFflyer71

I downloaded and installed the drivers and I can't figure out the two finger scroll thing? Can someone give a brief tutorial? Thanks

AFflyer71, Jan 25, 2009
  17. pr0teus

aquafloe

Do I have to use the two-finger scroll application? Is there any driver/modded driver that supports this function natively?

aquafloe, Jul 15, 2009
  18. pr0teus

evolyou

I'm using these drivers [http://download.treiberupdate.de/download2/1178578.zip] and Tiny7. All gestures work w/o any problems incl. two finger scroll.

edit: Forgot to mention that the driver pack also includes videos explaining how every gesture function works. These videos could be accessed trough the Synaptics app after you install the drivers.

Good luck!

evolyou, Nov 17, 2009
Ask a Question