worth removing Linpus Lite?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by andychurchill, Dec 29, 2008.

1. andychurchill

andychurchill

So I've had a little fun (being a geek, albeit it a windows one) following the instructions to switch the standard acer linux desktop with the advanced xfce desktop, removed the search bar,improved write speed on the flash drive and so on, and did all that without any backing up (see, a PROPER geek!)

However, having done all that, I noticed this thing called "software updater". I wasn't foolish enough to run any of the updates thankfully, and I soon read that Acer have their own versions of some packages or something, which could lead to errors if replaced.

Now, that made me wonder, given Acer's lack of support, and issues I could have if/when I want to do updates to firefox, skype, open office, and adding new software to it, should I just go the whole hog and replace the linpus lite OS with a full distro so that i don't have to worry about these dependency issues in future?

Case in point, the missus (yeah, I bought the machine for her, but I've been stealing it at night to do the "improvements" :)) wants ITV's on demand service, which requires silverlight, but I'm reluctant to install a unix equivalent for silverlight without having to read in here first just in case the Acer/Linpus Lite system would cause problems.

andychurchill, Dec 29, 2008
  2. andychurchill

Andysan

andy,

First, you should always back up, even if you are not fiddling with anything - you'll rue it when something goes wrong.

Generally, you are OK to install stuff in Linpus, so long as you don't update any of the software already present on the device (i.e. Firefox, OpenOffice) and don't mess with the dependencies. Also, as you have tweaked the desktop, don't run the Live updates. You will get a better Linux experience if you change to Ubuntu or different OS of your choice as it will be more complete and secure, but it won't run half as fast as Linpus.

Andysan, Dec 29, 2008
Ask a Question