WoW freezes running in Wine

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Shad0wguy, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Shad0wguy

Shad0wguy

I tried playing wow on my AAO. I put the WoW folder on an external and was able to run it through Wine. I was able to log in and choose my character, but it froze trying to load the world. I had to do a hard shutdown as I couldn't get out of the frozen screen. I have 1GB of RAM, and on my Vista PC WoW never uses more than 300MB. 200MB-ish for the OS, 300MB for WoW, and 100MB for Wine for argument sake. I removed the swap partition, but in this case memory shouldn't be an issue. Has anyone successfully ran WoW on their Linpus AAO?

Shad0wguy, Jan 8, 2009
  2. Shad0wguy

Lenno

I've been having the exact same problem. I only have the standard 512mb RAM and WoW freezes while loading the game world, however I will try it again when I am able to upgrade to 1.5gb. I am also fairly new at Linux but I am learning. I thought that WoW might require DirectX, but I was told that Wine has some sort of DirectX-like program? I'm not 100% sure on how that works but I am currently trying to install DirectX 9.0c, so hopefully that could be the problem.

Lenno, Apr 19, 2009
  3. Shad0wguy

NicePics13

I think the Wine devs do discourage you from installing DirectX over their version of it.

NicePics13, May 31, 2009
Ask a Question