WoW through Wine on Ubuntu 8.10 - No graphics

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Gr3y, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Gr3y

Gr3y

I was able to install WoW via wine and update. However when I try to start the program the screen resolution changes (no big deal) but I'm presented with a garbled black background with parts of the EULA poping up.

I'm currently using the default xorg config that 8.10 set up. I'm wondering if it's stuck at 8mb video ram. It's supposed to dynamically change that (and it must in XP, becuase when I try it on my windows partition it runs like a champ). I've googled for how to change the VRAM but haven't found anything.

For those of you that got it working, how did you do it?

I'm running on a new AAO with the hard drive not the SSD. Fresh install of 8.10, fully updated.
    Any ideas on how to get this to work or am I stuck booting into windows when I want to play a game?

Gr3y, Nov 3, 2008
  2. Gr3y

annafil

I think there is more than one problem here.

I hear WoW on wine works fairly well, and maybe someone can come along and help out with installation and configuration specifically but there's one other thing you need to know - 3d on 8.10 is pretty broken right now for the AAO (and a lot of intel cards).

There's been a complete rewrite of everything that you need for 3d, so the driver and the supporting dri and mesa stuff. If you really want to play WoW on Ubuntu, I'd try the older Hardy (8.04) - its long term support so you'll be getting updates for years and years and the graphics are heaps faster.

My bet is that would probably solve your issues. On intrepid, my AAO plays opengl games (evn native linux ones) at like 0.5fps - it's really bad. Watch the forums to see when it will be fixed

annafil, Nov 3, 2008
  3. Gr3y

Gr3y

Well you make me both angry and grateful.
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm guessing that with number of folks buying these little guys (and they really are great little machines)
    I can expect this stuff to be working by 2009.

I don't really want to go back to 8.04 as I've had more problems then I can remember on my HTPC running it.

Oh well, this is why God invented dual booting.

Gr3y, Nov 3, 2008
Ask a Question