WPA Enterprise on Linpus Linux

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rah, Nov 15, 2009.

1. rah

rah

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to linux. I recently purchased an Aspire One AOA110, the 8gb SSD version. I purchased mainly it for university studies. My university has a wireless network that requires "WPA Enterprise". This is something that Linpus Linux does not have.

I downloaded Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 and found that it had WPA Enterprise, but runs a lot slower and consumes more battery than Linpus. I'm not that keen on Ubuntu as it doesn't seem to be fully compatible with the netbook, for example the wireless light doesn't work now.

I am considering installing Windows XP as I have a spare license now after upgrading my desktop to Windows 7. I have since upgraded the ram so I have 1.5gb on board. I have heard that XP is really poor on the SSD models and I was wondering what my best solution is, keep Ubuntu or install XP? I have read on here that linpus linux can be patched or something so that it recognises WPA Enterprise, if that was the case I would go back to linpus in an instant as it is far faster than Ubuntu.

Can someone tell me how I can patch linpus to recognise WPA Enterprise in nice easy, straight forward steps? As I say, I'm new to linux operating systems. Also, the university's certificate for the wireless is a ".cer" file

Thanks very much in advance,

Roger

rah, Nov 15, 2009
  2. rah

rah

Nobody want to help me? :cry:

rah, Nov 19, 2009
  3. rah

DonQuichote

If you are a real newbie, I will not suggest you try compiling a new wireless driver. It may be straightforward, and it may not. I dropped Linpus after searching for two hours where I could find a graphical terminal application. It is not exactly made for giving you the opportunity to play around with the OS.

You could try Kuki Linux, which is an Ubuntu version specially made for the Aspire One. (see http://www.kuki.me/ ). I doubt Acer is supporting Linux anymore, so active Linux distributions are probably a better bet than Linpus if you want to stay up-to-date.

I could not give you any useful advice on Windows XP, as I have never ran it on my netbook.

DonQuichote, Nov 19, 2009
Ask a Question