X fails to start

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Mikas, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Mikas

Mikas

HI fellows,

Being quite new to linux world I'm totally clueless.. I wanted to use my LCD TV as an external display, but it doesn't support the 1024*600 resolution. So I edited the xorg.conf like instructed in viewtopic.php?f=13&t=94#p9684
    to use some other resolution with the TV

well it quite did not work out. Graphical environment did not start anymore. So I went and fixed xorg.conf back to its original form but the problem remains.

The error message is:
    xsetroot: unable to open display ' :0.0'
    xrdb: Connection refused

Is this something easy to fix or does this fall into a category of mysterious problems? The OS is pretty much in the original shape except the few updates

Mikas, Aug 23, 2008
  2. Mikas

IMSancho

Post the current contents of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf perhaps there's a typo in there somewhere

IMSancho, Aug 24, 2008
  3. Mikas

Mikas

Problem solved.

The text editor I used put some extra characters in the beginning of the file (possibly unicode marker) . With a proper editor I was able to see those and removed them. The other issue is that I fear that my original editor also tampered with file owner and permissions. Can someone check the correct settings for xorg.conf file and X11 folder. Thanks!

Mikas, Aug 24, 2008
  4. Mikas

IMSancho

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2110 2008-08-24 02:12 xorg.conf

IMSancho, Aug 24, 2008
Ask a Question