Xarchiver and *.rar files

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mfzar, Sep 3, 2008.

1. mfzar

mfzar

Hey everybody,

this forum is just great - until now I could find all the answers I needed right here. Unfortunately, not for this problem.
    I am trying to open a password protected RAR-file with Xarchiver (I know the password). Additionally the RAR-file is devided into three parts because the server has a file size limitation (50MB, ***part1.rar, ***part2.rar, ***part3.rar).
    I installed Unrar so Xarchiver can work with rar. Just to check whether Unrar works, I tried to unpack an unprotected single rar file, which worked fine.
    When I try to open the part1.rar, Xarchiver does not respond. I just get a blank window, which I can't close, because the program won't respond.
    I also tried to open the RAR-file with Xarchiver via opening the program first and browsing to the file. In that case I get an error message, about the password and a crc error.
    How can I unpack the rar files? Xarchiver does not ask for the password!? Is Xarchiver even able to open multiple rar files???

I am thankful for any help I could get - Greetings from
    mfzar

mfzar, Sep 3, 2008
  2. mfzar

Grim Squeaker

unrar -p on the commandline would allow you to enter the password.
    I am uncertain about the multipart though...

Grim Squeaker, Sep 3, 2008
  3. mfzar

mfzar

Thanks for the hint Grim Speaker.
    Now I tried to unpack the files with Unrar via command line in the terminal and it worked. Unrar asked for the password and unpacked the multiarchive. Problem solved...
    Still, I can't unpack the RAR-files with Xarchiver. Guess I'll have to skip Xarchiver and work with Unrar.

Except if anybody else has an idea!?

mfzar, Sep 4, 2008
Ask a Question