XP Hibernation issue?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by andy100, Sep 28, 2008.

1. andy100

andy100

Hi,

I've found some posts on this issue eelsewhere but they seem to relate to the old BIOS or are unanswered, so thought I'd post again to try to get a true answer (mods: please move or delete if required!)

I've upgraded my BIOS to v.3304 after having the problem of my AA1 freezing up at the 'preparing to hibernate' screen after pressing the power button, but the problem's still there even after the BIOS update :(

The only way I can get out of it is by forcibly shutting my machine down and rebooting, wwhich is turning into a bit of a hassle!

Has anybody discovered a way of fixing this yet please?

My AA1's the 1Gb RAM, 120Gb HDD running XP.

Thanks for any advice & help!
    Andy

andy100, Sep 28, 2008
  2. andy100

goofball

try deleting the C:\hiberfil.sys file, it may be corrupt. Also, try defragging the hard drive, I've heard this has worked as well. You will need to change the folder options to show hidden and system files to see hiberfil.sys.

goofball, Sep 28, 2008
  3. andy100

andy100

I tried deleting the hiberfil.sys file, but it came up with an 'unable to delete' error! When I turned off Hibernation Enabled mode the file disappeared! :?

I'm running defrag as I type though - even though I've only had the machine since Friday, the analyser seems to think it's needed already, so hopefully this'll resolve the issue!

Thanks,
    Andy

andy100, Sep 28, 2008
  4. andy100

Tamrac

The AAO you have needs to write a 1Gb file since your RAM is 1gb.... so it really helps to have the drive defragmented so that the file can reside on a clean area. Some programs also interfere with the hibernate feature, like some antivirus & antispyware software, etc etc.... make a list of your running applications when you're hibernating, post it here so we can better analyze it. I have a feeling it's one of your apps causing it.

Here's a scenario..... your AAO creates a 1Gb hiberfil.sys file. Now certain antivirus software will try to scan this 1gb file since it's a .sys(most AV will scan this).... so your AAO takes forever to do this task, hehehe. Giving the effect of, FREEZING. Try to exclude the hiberfil.sys file from being scanned, most AV has an exclusion list. Goodluck.

Tamrac, Sep 28, 2008
  5. andy100

andy100

I'm running AVG as my virus scanner and on previous machines haave never had a problem with this & hibernating.

I suspect it's a defrag issue, but will report baack once it's finished.

Thanks forthe help guys! :)

andy100, Sep 28, 2008
  6. andy100

Glenn

I seem to be having the same problem that andy100 is having, except I've removed the antivirus software. I haven't tried defragging yet, but it's a clean install from the recovery partition (plus all the Windows updates), so I doubt that the system needs defragging. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Any other suggestions? At this point I'm guessing that one of the drivers is at fault, but which one?

Glenn, Oct 6, 2008
  7. andy100

Dave in Eugene

I have a brand new 160/6 and hibernation does behave differently from my older Acer laptop.
    At my desk I'm always connected to a Belkin USB hub which has my printer, scanner, and a hard drive for backup storage & some portable apps. My old Aspire 3003 will hibernate and wakeup with no issues on that setup.

When hibernating on the new machine, if I have any open files on the USB hard drive, the AAO will refuse to recognize that drive on wakeup, and I have to reboot with the USB devices unplugged and then reconnect them. Not a huge deal because when I'm in the situation where hibernate won't work I have AC power and can just go standby instead, but it seems to me hibernation should not cause it to lose sync with the USB devices.

Dave in Eugene, Oct 6, 2008
Ask a Question