XP installed on drive D instead of C

Discussion in 'Windows' started by robertjk, Jan 12, 2009.

1. robertjk

robertjk

I've used this tutorial to create a bootable usb stick http://myeeeguides.wordpress.com/2008/11/15/winsetupfromusb-install-windows-xp-from-usb-flash-drive/ because my Acer One was default installed with Linpus. Because i'm not experienced with linux, I would have my good old Windows XP.

The installation went flawlessly. Only on little thing.

When I boot from USB. The stick gets the drive letter C assigned. So XP will be installed on drive D.

I want my XP installation on Drive C as it should be.

How can I change de drive letter from my usb Stick to anything else except C?

robertjk, Jan 12, 2009
  2. robertjk

GvidoR

If it's already installed, then I'm afraid you're going to have to do the installation again.
    Since Linux has no drive letters, the USB stick takes the first place ( C:\ )
    What you have to do is, boot up from your USB stick, and when you're at the part where you have to do the stuff with the partitions, you delete all of them (except the USB stick ofcourse) and restart your AAO.
    The next time you try it, the USB stick should be D:\ :D

Good Luck!

GvidoR, Jan 12, 2009
  3. robertjk

j0sefK

I made the same "mistake", but I didn't reinstall just to change the drive letter. Is it such a big problem (or could it be)? I don't have a lot of stuff in the One yet, so if it really matters I guess I could reinstall everything... although, of course, I'd rather not :-D

j0sefK, Jan 13, 2009
  4. robertjk

jeremysdad

Use "Disk Management" in Windows to reassign your drive letters. Right-click "My Computer". Select "Manage", select "Disk Management". Right-click on desired partitions, select option to "Change Drive Letter", or some such, and take it from there. You can make your USB drive W: if you want, it's up to you. ;)

jeremysdad, Jan 13, 2009
  5. robertjk

jackluo923

However, the method you described above cannot change the system drive (a.k.a the OP's D drive).

You can instead use a portable version of windows xp and change the drive letter using the portable windows xp.

jackluo923, Jan 13, 2009
  6. robertjk

robertjk

I will give it a try and hope this will do the trick

robertjk, Jan 13, 2009
  7. robertjk

maltloaf

when i installed xp on my old eeepc this happened to me and i thought i'd get round to re-installing one day. I never did though and it never caused me any problems. It was just 'different' not 'wrong' :)

maltloaf, Jan 13, 2009
  8. robertjk

robertjk

I agree, it's not wrong. It's just a detail, which can irritate me because it is not as it should be.

robertjk, Jan 13, 2009
  9. robertjk

jeremysdad

I did not know that...then again, I've never tried to e-letter my C: drive. Learn something new every day...

jeremysdad, Jan 13, 2009
  10. robertjk

robertjk

Worked! I now have XP on my C-partion. Thanks

robertjk, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question