XP on Linux version of AA1...possible?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by princessalissa, Dec 3, 2008.

1. princessalissa

princessalissa

Hi everyone! Im new to the board, and Im so thankful Ive found it! I am new to Linux, and after it took me an hour just to change the background color, Ive decided maybe I should attempt to put XP on my AA1.

My question is - if I were to install XP (or TinyXP - I need to learn more about it tho) on my One that originally came with Linux, would everything be functional?

My initial thought would be yes, since Acer also released it with Windows.... but I thought Id ask the experts! :D

Also, I know I will loose a lot of the speed, but do you think xp will run ok on the 8gb/512mb model?

Thanks for any input! I really appreciate it!

Alissa

princessalissa, Dec 3, 2008
  2. princessalissa

SirWilliam

Of course it is possible, the main question is...do you really want it...
    But if you want to do this i recommend this fred.

Greetings

Bill

SirWilliam, Dec 3, 2008
  3. princessalissa

princessalissa

Thanks so much for getting back with me!

I think I do want XP, just because of the familiarity of it. Dont get me wrong - I like the speed of Linux, but I think I might be taking too long to catch on to it really. I might try to switch it over to the standard desktop first, and see how that works for me.

Do you know anything about TinyXp? (http://aspireonesoftware.wordpress.com/2008/09/30/rons-image/
    I think Im favoring it compared to regular XP. Also, what is this going to do to my boot time?

Thanks!

princessalissa, Dec 3, 2008
  4. princessalissa

ronime

XP Home SP3 is fully functional on my AAO with Intel 8GB SSD. All of the required drivers can be downloaded from Acer's support site.

I had some fun and games with my first installation using an nLite'd version. My most recent install was off a full XP Home SP2 CD using a cheap IDE to USB adapter and an old CDROM drive.

It takes around 2 minutes from cold boot to fully responding desktop. I could probably remove some of the unwanted services with nLite to reduce this but the main problem is the poor SSD write performance. You do experience the occasional freeze when XP tries to commit of bunch of writes to the SSD (mainly just after logging in) but apart from that it is fairly responsive.

I have 1.5GB RAM and no paging file. I couldn't really do much useful with 512MB RAM and I certainly would not want to run a paging file on the SSD.

ronime, Dec 3, 2008
  5. princessalissa

maltloaf

my brother has the 8GB aao and xp runs very sluggishly on his, although I have heard that formatting the ssd to FAT32 helps with this ??

maltloaf, Dec 3, 2008
  6. princessalissa

rory

why not come look in windows forums for answers to all your questions and many more
    but remember to search

rory, Dec 3, 2008
  7. princessalissa

princessalissa

Just in case anyone is still interested, I decided to use TinyXP and get rid of Linux.

Worked like a charm, everything functional without having to add drivers, however boot time is more like 45 sec. now. BUT my system runs just as speedy as it did with Linux, and I have the 8Gb SSD and 512 Ram.

Link with directions : http://aspireonesoftware.wordpress.com/2008/09/30/rons-image/

[Thanks to Ron for making this all possible!]

princessalissa, Dec 4, 2008
Ask a Question