XP sp3 install after CF mod

Discussion in 'Windows' started by goremek, Dec 14, 2008.

1. goremek

goremek

before anyone says anything about the *search* function- i've read just about every thread in this forum, and many on other forums, too.

i am using an aao 110 (16gb ssd, linpus edition) and i have performed the ssd-cf mod replacing the stock 16GB ssd with a 4GB compact flash card. i have tested said mod with ubuntu eee, and the install works as it should. since i have worked for years with windows, i wanted a windows OS. i first attempted a vista lite install, vista doesn't even recognize i have an installed drive. that's most likely caused by the small size of said disk. im ok with that-

so now im trying xp. i'm installing (or at least trying to) using a usb cd/dvd. in particular, i have an ide/usb adapter using 1 of 2 drives i had sitting around; one of which is a tdk cdrw, the other is a lite-on dvd drive. i have tried both drives, in every usb plug, using everything from nLited xp sp3, to OEM disks of sp2 (2 different ones- dell & alienware) and there are always errors in loading files for windows setup. i do not have a generic oem disk to try or i would- but it shouldn't matter. both oem disks are near flawless with VERY minimal scuffing. nothing that should be effecting the install like this. I've even d/l one of the users from this forums *unofficial acer aspire one recovery disk* (xp sp3, all drivers included) and the install will not complete. there are many errors loading drivers- different drivers each time even using the same disk, and i am just about at the end of my rope.

if anyone could shine some light on the subject, i'd be very appreciative. i've owned this laptop for almost a month now, and haven't gotten but maybe an hour's worth of use from it.. linpus was too difficult to configure with ad-hoc networks (wireless broadband from my cell phone), ubuntu eee didn't recognize my 802.11 card properly, and i just want XP. thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

goremek, Dec 14, 2008
  2. goremek

goofball

have you tested the ram? In many cases, file copy errors during installation of Windows XP/Vista is a result of bad memory.

goofball, Dec 14, 2008
  3. goremek

goremek

i have not tested the ram- i did not think i had reason to suspect it. i have not upgraded to 1.5 yet, the 512 is still in the removable slot. i may try that this evening. do you know of a suitable test? (without physically removing it)

goremek, Dec 14, 2008
  4. goremek

goofball

You can look up how to run the ultimate boot CD from USB key or memtest from key.

http://www.memtest.org/

there is a pre-compiled version for usb key.

goofball, Dec 14, 2008
  5. goremek

goremek

well, i hooked up the usb/ide adapter w/ the lite-on dvd and ran the ultimate boot cd, and am currently running the MemTest-86 v3.3. i've had that disk sitting around since i started this project and didn't know all the features at my disposal. so- it's been almost 10min and 11%, so im gonna goto sleep and hope i have some news (whether good or bad) in the morning. im not sure what would be bad- i suppose still not knowing.. so here's to having bad ram! i already have the 1gb stick on the way- i'll post in the morning what's up!

*update*
    and i forgot to plug it in overnight so it died. :( that would definitely be my luck. MemTest is @ 27% now since i woke up and checked. will follow up later.

goremek, Dec 15, 2008
  6. goremek

goremek

yah- no luck. it completed twice with no errors. any other guesses?

goremek, Dec 15, 2008
  7. goremek

goremek

could it possibly be solved by installing from flash drive? :idea: maybe with the difference in read speeds on the cd/dvd to the write speeds on the new cf card? i have seen tutorials around.. i'll see about mounting the iso and making a usb bootable image. i'll report back with any findings- i think this may solve the problem. when my buddy installed ubuntu from his flash drive there were no problems at all, and it was fast. maybe i'll get lucky

goremek, Dec 16, 2008
  8. goremek

goremek

alright, so i finally got around to installing xp (black) from a thumbdrive. no errors or anything, worked the first time.

HOWEVER- i used this tutorial ( http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/instal ... thumb.html ) and seeing as i performed the cf card hack, it's still seeing my card as removable, and not a fixed drive. I believe that is the cause of my only problem: i MUST have the thumbdrive i installed xp with attached (to boot from) until windows is loaded, then it runs w/o a hitch. (btw, wicked fast) if i used grub loader or something similar, would it take care of the whole problem? what would be the easiest way to get around this?

goremek, Jan 7, 2009
  9. goremek

hamsterwolf

what kind of cf card are u using? iv done the same mod as u and i used a 16g kingston 266x on mine and it shows up as a normal hd. you could leave the computer as is and just us the flash drive as a key, that way if the laptop was lost or stolen it would make it that much harder for people to get at your info. u may have to use a normal external because the the adapters in them are built to work outside of a os.

hamsterwolf, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question