xp will not install on a usb hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Aspiration, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Aspiration

Aspiration

anyone know of a reason why XP is so user hostile?
    XP will not install on a usb hard drive. as soon as xp boots it crashes with heiroglyphical codes that mean nothing to anyone.
    What the hell is 00x000000??????
    How do I make something as stupid as XP install itself?

Aspiration, Aug 1, 2009
  2. Aspiration

melhiore

XP will only install on non-removable devices. Any USB drive is not this type...

melhiore, Aug 1, 2009
  3. Aspiration

Aspiration

OK. Thanks... my new usb hard drive just died anyways... click click click... that's all it does now.

Aspiration, Aug 3, 2009
  4. Aspiration

mystery

this is not true you can do it via usb hard drive ive done it all you need is an iso version of what ever windows you wish to install. have a copy of power iso on your portable harddrive and your computer. when you install power iso make sure you select two drives then mount the iso image to your portable harddrive this fools your computer into thinking the portable harddrive is part of its own. eg you will have two drives listed c and d. the important part is on starting installation make sure you tick the box that lets you choose which drive to install to other wise you will format and install to the portable one i made that mistake 1st time 2nd time utter success. im not an expert im a newbie but im a very stubborn one and i did not see why this wouldnt work and i was right it does also just the demo version of power iso is ok to use to do your installation. hope ive explained this ok as im not good with technical terms.

mystery, Mar 3, 2010
  5. Aspiration

melhiore

Exactly...

Is hard to imagine carrying portable HDD just to have OS installed there instead of build-in HDD...

melhiore, Mar 3, 2010
  6. Aspiration

mystery

you dont its just to install the os you install it to c drive then you can delete it off the portable one.

mystery, Mar 3, 2010
Ask a Question