Xvid on Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Reza, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Reza

Reza

So i've followed a guide on this site to install VLC player and thats fine, but a lot of my vids use the xvid codec and vlc has a hissy fit when trying to play them. Does anyone have a link or anything to the xvid codec i could intsall to make this work?

Much thanks.

Reza

Reza, Sep 1, 2008
  2. Reza

maly82

Re: Xvid of Limux?

Here is what i did, cause my mplayer always said that could't find any -vo driver i've uninstall it using command:
    sudo yum remove mplayer , then i install it back again - sudo yum install mplayer - before i was doing that i had updated my repositories by adding livna package rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm after that all my movies was playing as usual.
    it's good to install also some codecs from mplayer site here is link: ftp://ftp8.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/release ... 07.tar.bz2 , just unzip this archive as root to /usr/lib/win32 - you can use console program like Midnight Commander (program like old Norton commander - from DOS times yet) to do that or if you prefer to use graphical mode use Krusader (windows Total commander clone) here is how to install it: sudo yum install mc krusader - REMEMBER You have to use this programs as root to copy it.

that is it now you can enjoy with your movies.

Also after all that You can install video lan player (VLC) :

sudo yum install vlc

it's good to have two independent players in the system just to be sure that everything is going as it should ;)

maly82, Sep 1, 2008
  3. Reza

Reza

hey, thanks for the reply, I did that but when it came to installing the codecs for mplayer, it sasy permission is denied. Any idea?

Reza, Sep 1, 2008
  4. Reza

Grim Squeaker

As said - unzip it as root. Putting sudo in front of the tar/unzip command will do the trick.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 1, 2008
Ask a Question