Youtube HD (720p) solution

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Felix[GER], Jul 4, 2009.

1. Felix[GER]

Felix[GER]

Everybody knows Atom can't do HD!

That's true for most netbooks based on Atom N270/N280 (Diamondville). Our Acer 751 is based on Atom Z520 (Menlow) that has built in video acceleration. It can play Full HD 1080p at under 20% CPU usage.

A lot of people here in the board have been able to playback their HD-Video due an alternate player (Media Player Classic HC, oder Cyberlink PowerDVD). This works well, since these players support the hardware video acceleration in our GMA500 graphic chip. It´s a bit tricky to setup this players, but there are lots of guides around that will help you. Windows 7 will make things better, because it has these feature (H.264 hardware video acceleration) built in the Mediaplayer 12.

Back to topic. Youtube offers lots of 720p HD videos that will perfectly match to our 11,6" HD display. To sad, they won´t run :(

Adobe´s Flash Player 10 simply don´t make use of the our hardware video acceleration. But hey, the Youtube HD clips are in H.264 format, so this should work if you find a way around Adobe´s Flash Player.

What about downloading your favorit Musicvideos or TopGear Episodes in 720p from Youtube and watching them in another Player?

This little freeware tool will help you to get the clips on your Harddrive: http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com just throw the link into it and choose download in High Definition. Now try to watch this file in your favorite player. MPC-HC, PowerDVD or simply the Microsoft Mediaplayer 12 (Windows 7 only).

Voila! Perfect HD playback of all the content Youtube provides!

Sure, the way around the Flash Player and downloading the file first is not optimal. But until Adobe will update their Flashplayer, it´s the only solution working for me. I´d like to share it.

Greetings,
    Felix

Felix[GER], Jul 4, 2009
  2. Felix[GER]

zicada

lol, you work in sales in real life ? :D

Nice one though, for real.

zicada, Jul 4, 2009
  3. Felix[GER]

Felix[GER]

Is that so easy to perdict? :D I was a Mercedes salesman for some years, but actually studying business.

Felix[GER], Jul 4, 2009
  4. Felix[GER]

Foxtropics

I'm not sure where to post this question but this looked like a good place. On the lines of youtube videos, will the netbook play videos in "HQ" format on youtube without problems? I know it struggles with the HD ones, but what about just the HQ versions? I heard it does the non HQ/HD videos just fine. I can stand to not watch videos in HD but I would at least like to be able to watch them in youtube HQ. Will this do that okay?

Foxtropics, Jul 18, 2009
  5. Felix[GER]

Gaso

Yes it does play HQ videos fluently even on full screen, if you don't move your mouse cursor much.
    HQ video on full screen takes about 60% of CPU time on my N280.

Gaso, Jul 19, 2009
  6. Felix[GER]

snake-john

Hello Felix,
    I followed your advice and tried the tool by the given example Url

I set the download to AVI HD and the result was 720p HD Video (HD).avi.
    I could play the avi with mplayerc nicely for two times.
    But Now I have a funny effect : When I try to open or delete the file with file explorer the whole explorer crashes.

The only way to delete the file is to delete its containing folder. hmmh my hdd seems to be ok because chkdsk returns no errros.

Do you have any idea what happend?

Even if I download the file again and create a new 720p HD Video (HD).avi and try to select the file with my mouse the explorer shows a sand-glass and then crashes.

snake-john, Jul 22, 2009
  7. Felix[GER]

Bols

Sounds as if the explorer extension (typically for showing thumbnails and detailed information about the file) bugs out on you. The extension can probably be disabled. What codecs are installed?

Bols, Jul 22, 2009
  8. Felix[GER]

snake-john

I just have the preinstalled PowerDVD 8 and then installed mplayer classic and then the coreavc Trial codec. That's all.

I was supprised that the HD coreavc actually slowed the player down. As you wrote the mplayer codecs seem to really work with GMA 500

many Greetings John

snake-john, Jul 22, 2009
  9. Felix[GER]

Felix[GER]

I´d not recommend to use CoreAVC, because it doesn´t use hardware acceleration. For sure, its the fastest software decoder, but you want to get your H.264 videos decoded by your GMA500 and not the weak Atom-CPU ;) So better use Cyberlink, MPC-HC for XP or the built-in codecs that come with Windows 7.
    Sorry John, i have no solution for your problem, but i think it´s a codec-issue :cry:

Felix[GER], Jul 22, 2009
  10. Felix[GER]

snake-john

yes I aggree it should be a codec problem.May I ask which version of PowerDVD and MPC you are using on your machine?

snake-john, Jul 23, 2009
  11. Felix[GER]

Felix[GER]

For sure, i use MPC-HC version 1.2.1168.0 and my Cyberlink Codec is 2.2.0.805. But it could also be a setup-issue within MPC-MC.

Felix[GER], Jul 23, 2009
  12. Felix[GER]

matthew1471

Right on the mark about hardware acceleration!

Just wanted to add that I do not directly think it is Adobe's fault. It actually seems to depend on whether or not the person making the flash script did things in a way that prevents hardware acceleration from being used as demonstrated on my page : http://blogx.co.uk/Comments.asp?Entry=798

matthew1471, Oct 3, 2009
  13. Felix[GER]

zaneeta

How can I make my youtube video quality better? I have a Samsung D85 camera. When I film my videos, the quality is really good when you watch it on the camera. Then I import the video into windows movie maker and the video quality is still really good. Then I upload it onto youtube and even with the HQ button, the quality is quite bad - definitely not as good as it shows up on the camera or windows movie maker. So can someone please help me and tell me how to get the quality better or like it i on windows movie maker. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

zaneeta, Oct 23, 2009
  14. Felix[GER]

matthew1471

Post it on a site other than YouTube or just watch the file you saved from movie maker on your netbook in something like Windows Media Player.

matthew1471, Oct 23, 2009
  15. Felix[GER]

jessysky24

thats cool.
    can anyone help me get the youtube to mp3 converter thing to work?
    i downloaded the tiny youtube converter from http://www.tiny-youtube-converter.com and installed it. then it tells me im missing some lame mp3 codecs. im not sure what to do. please help:(

jessysky24, Jan 23, 2010
  16. Felix[GER]

gadzooks64

The lame codec they are referring to is readily available. Just google it. I had to get it for audacity to be able to save my files as mp3s.

gadzooks64, Jan 23, 2010
  17. Felix[GER]

antoraa

How do I access youtube with a parent block on it without using administrator? My husband and I got a divorce 2 weeks ago and I need to get on youtube, but he blocked it for my 14 year old daughter and I don't know the password. Please help! I need to get online for my colledge report.

antoraa, Feb 2, 2010
Ask a Question