yum, install not working

Discussion in 'Linux' started by iosepa, Sep 25, 2008.

1. iosepa

iosepa

Hey I've been around linux for awhile but can't get anything installed onto the one.

Yum hangs, the add software program won't start, and the package manager doesn't run either, though it did earlier but still couldn't install anything. Does anyone know where the corrupt setting might be? I've trying to run yum update fedora-release, but that hangs, as does yum clean, though yum list works. Haven't done too much to the system, just the fan script, and the SSD optimization hack.

I would prefer to use linpus until OneLinux or something comes out, though if I can't install any programs I'm going to end up installing ubuntu.

Thanks!
    Joseph

iosepa, Sep 25, 2008
  2. iosepa

kevin

Internet access OK? Yum repository actually up (I believe it's been a bit up-and-down lately)? Check there's not another instance of yum or rpm setting dead out of sight -- it's possible that the rpm database is locked.

kevin, Sep 25, 2008
  3. iosepa

iosepa

The rpm database was locked,
    sudo rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.*
    took care of the problem, yum is working great now. Thanks Kevin!

iosepa, Sep 26, 2008
  4. iosepa

hasfrochbuster

The problem occurred to me after Yumex hanged out and I reseted holding the power button, now it's working again removing the database following iosepa recipe.

Many thanks amigo.

hasfrochbuster, Oct 14, 2008
Ask a Question