"yum update" busted my system?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by shotty, Sep 21, 2008.

1. shotty

shotty

This is my current repo-situation
    Code:
    [user@localhost ~]$ cd/ etc
    bash: cd/: No such file or directory
    [user@localhost ~]$ cd /etc
    [user@localhost etc]$ cd yum.repos.d/
    [user@localhost yum.repos.d]$ ls -l
    total 32
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1888 2008-09-18 18:48 fedora-development.repo.rpmsave
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1962 2008-09-16 02:15 fedora-rawhide.repo
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1047 2008-09-18 18:48 fedora.repo
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1090 2008-09-16 02:15 fedora.repo.rpmnew
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  957 2008-09-18 18:48 fedora-updates.repo
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1108 2008-09-16 02:15 fedora-updates.repo.rpmnew
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1037 2008-09-18 18:48 fedora-updates-testing.repo
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1181 2008-09-16 02:15 fedora-updates-testing.repo.rpmnew

maybe posting it will help someone to help me.... :?

shotty, Sep 24, 2008
  2. shotty

Grim Squeaker

Side-note: why don't you just restore the system ? Speaking from personal experience - vlc installed perfectly on a clean system following these steps:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3770#p25335

May be less work ;) Less rewarding as well I admit, but hey.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 24, 2008
  3. shotty

shotty

Hey if all else fails, I'll do it, but i've managed to get other stuff to work (stuff I dont know if I'll be able to get to work again after a reinstalation) most importantly : a fan deamon, that shuts off that damn fan..... :evil:
    I'll give it another couple a days - people have been really helpful so far....

shotty

shotty, Sep 24, 2008
  4. shotty

jukk

It should be engraved in red letters on the lid: Never, ever run "yum update" on the AA1! Because this will try to update and change the whole operating system from a customized linpus distribution into a standard Fedora 8 distro. Stupid Acer/linpus. They should have used their own repository as default and provided their updates that way instead of the live update. Well, well...

jukk, Sep 24, 2008
  5. shotty

shotty

In other words - You think all hope is lost? The acer One works as if nothing happened....I just can get any programs!!! Can't I add/remove the repositories manually through terminal, or is the damage done deeper than just "playing" with the repository settings?

shotty, Sep 24, 2008
  6. shotty

macles

Somehow your system thinks that you're running version 9.91 of Fedora, which doesn't exist, or at least no VLC packages for it.

macles, Sep 25, 2008
  7. shotty

RockDoctor

or any other system unless you know what you're doing. I strongly recommend a graphical updater - either synaptic
    Code:
     sudo yum install synaptic
    or smart-pm
    Code:
    sudo yum install smart-gui smart-update
    . Each of these commands will pull in a few dependencies. The advantage of the gui is it lets you easily pick and choose which packages you want to update. Sometimes updating one package will cause others to be updated or deleted. Be sure to pay attention to any messages advising you of such.

RockDoctor, Sep 25, 2008
  8. shotty

craggsy

Shotty have you found a solution ? I have a similar problem, and i've tried alsorts but no success. I think i'm just going to do a system restore, then everything should work ok *fingers crossed*

craggsy, Sep 26, 2008
  9. shotty

shotty

Sorry for the delayed reply!
    No I haven't found a solution....
    My system seems to know that it's running on fedora 8 (not 9 as pointed 2 posts back), so that part of the problem should be solved, but still no VLC (or any other app for that matter...)
    I'm in for a system restore too, but it's SO anyoing since anything else works like a charm.... Let me know how yours go!
    Thanks for the help everybody...
    Shotty

shotty, Sep 28, 2008
  10. shotty

rexer

Same problem here, I guess I should have read more about Linpus before fooling around with yum. Well I inteded to try ubuntu anyways =)

rexer, Oct 1, 2008
  11. shotty

shotty

Re: "yum update" busted my system? *sort of solved*

I reinstalled linpus, an made a "play-date" with an old aquintance who works as a linux-maintainance-kind-a-guy in a big company. He "talked" to the computer in a way I never thought possible, and he convinced it about the reasonable state of my humble requests. My One now has Skype, VLC, Picasa, Firefox 3 W. FLASH WORKING, Thunderbird and Sunbird - all w. desktop icons! He run a script that should increase SSD writing speed , and killed the fan-noise w. the acerfand script. The only thing he didn't manage to do was changing the possible external screen resolutions. It kept interfering w. compiz, and made the system somewhat unstable, so he changed the resolutions back to default. And he did this in a matter of hours...I ow him big time!
    Thaks for the help everybody
    Shotty

shotty, Oct 5, 2008
Ask a Question