ZTE MF627 MOBILE BROADBAND DONGLE

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by amy, Feb 8, 2010.

1. amy

amy

hi guys,

Well a couple of weeks ago i bought the Acer Aspire one ZG5 i already had a mobile broadband stick as i used it with my pc and it never crossed my mind that it wouldn't work with my brand spanking new laptop, that was until i plugged it in and it wouldn't work because of my operating system linux..when i rang 3 they confirmed my suspicions that they don't support linux so great!!
    After searching the internet for hours i was still no closer to getting the dongle to work as every forum or site i visited it said it couldn't be done.......
    Anyways i have since spoken to a friend who owns a computer shop and he has worked out how to get it working (very clever man indeed)

So if you cant get your dongle working try what ive put below, its works perfectly for me so i thought i would share with other linux users....... i hope this helps people pulling there hair out or people who want mobile broadband but cant because networks dont support linux. :D :D

I have written this as simply as i can and how i did it...you can copy and paste the terminal commands.....

First, install the supplied SIM in the dongle and plug into the USB port.

A red light will appear on the dongle and a 3Connect File manager should appear on screen. Double click on the Linux Software file, then again on 3UK_PC_LinuxUI.tar.gz.

Xarchiver window will appear. Click on ‘extract’. In the ‘extract to’ box, change location by clicking on the icon at the end of the box. Open ‘My Disk, click on ‘Documents’, then ‘Aspire One’. Then create a directory (i called it 3g).
    Open up this directory and then click the open button.

Now return to your File Manager window. Click on ‘My Disk’ and go to the directory you created (eg. 3g). At this point , possibly clicking on install.sh may get it working (didn’t actually try it), but if not -Click on ‘File’ and select ‘Terminal’.
    At command prompt, type:
    sudo ./install.sh

Now take out the dongle, then re-insert it. Wait a little while (it takes it’s time!) The light will turn from red to green and on the first run, you should see the 3 internet application appear on screen. Click on ‘connect’. It’s not instant, but you should connect in a short time. And that’s it!
    (When you use the dongle after this, you’ll need to connect by one of these methods):
    Basic system (without advanced options working)- Click on ‘my documents’ on the desktop. Double click on install.sh. then click on connect.

Advanced options working (right click menu button enabled)- Connect through: network >3uk.

amy, Feb 8, 2010
  2. amy

Xplorer1

Well on the basis of this I ordered a ZTE MF627 dongle from 3. It arrived today, but it only had Windows software on it - no Mac or Linux. Does anyone know where I could download it from? Amy, could you email me a copy from your dongle?

Xplorer1, Mar 2, 2010
  3. amy

amy

Hi,

Yes the dongle does only support windows but if you follow the instructions above you will find it works i use mine and it works brill and have had friends that have now bought this and on the instructions works great for them too.
    Have you tried the above instructions?? You dont have to download anything if you extract the files then install using terminal it will work.
    Sorry for email days later didnt get a notification that i had a reply.
    Hope youve solved by now :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

amy, Mar 5, 2010
  4. amy

Swarvey Moderator

Sounds to me that Xplorer1 bought the dongle, but it didn't come with the Linux software which came with yours. If you can upload the zip file to a file sharing server somewhere and supply the link I think this could help a great many people.

P.S you said yourself that the dongle only supports windows, if this is true, then I have to wonder why there's linux software pre-integrated into your dongle. - Just did a quick google search and didn't find anything

Swarvey, Mar 5, 2010
  5. amy

amy

i searched "how to install mf627 on linpus" on google and it comes up with many options.

As mentioned in my first post i have only had mine for a few months but found this to work for me and my friends who have since purchased it so thought id share it.... maybe i should of added that i didnt want to be held responsible for people buying this dongle then it not working..... :? :?

amy, Mar 11, 2010
Ask a Question